Emergency Triage, Treat and Transport (ET3)
What is ET3?
Emergency Triage, Treat and Transport (also known as ET3) is a voluntary, five-year, CMS Innovation Center payment model designed to reduce unnecessary transport to emergency departments. The CMS Innovation Center released a Request for Applications (RFA) in early August 2019 for ambulance providers and suppliers who wish to participate in ET3 when serving Medicare Fee-for-Service (FFS) members. Please note that the applications due Oct. 5, 2019 were for participation in the Medicare ET3 model, not participation in the AHCCCS model.
Applications are not required for AHCCCS ET3 participation. To learn more about participation criteria, please review the ET3 FAQ's.
CMS and AHCCCS recognize that the long-term sustainability of the ET3 model program will depend upon the participation of multiple payer sources. Accordingly, the Request for Applications (RFA) gives preference to providers who have partnered with multiple payer sources, including their State Medicaid Program, as this increases the likelihood of creating a long term, sustainable, ET3 program.
Applicants for the RFA were encouraged to submit Letters of Intent (LOI) for these additional payer sources. AHCCCS explored participating in the ET3 model. To provide support to our EMS providers, AHCCCS issued a Letter of Intent for their use in the RFA.
Interested providers are encouraged to subscribe to ET3 email alerts. Please click the blue button at the top of this page to subscribe, and select “ET3 Updates” from the “Email Lists.” You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of every email. For questions about the agency’s ET3 implementation plans, please contact Alexa Kaumaya.
The information below is the implementation timeline between 2019 and October 1, 2021.
- Late 2019/Early 2021-AHCCCS researched potential ET3 payment methodologies and model components.
- Third Quarter 2021 - AHCCCS presented its proposed State Plan Amendment at Tribal Consultation and posted it for a 45 Day Public Comment Period.
- Third Quarter 2021 - AHCCCS issued a public notice regarding the proposed ET3 program rates.
- Third and Fourth Quarter 2021 - AHCCCS will issue targeted education and outreach to emergency transportation providers.
- Fourth Quarter 2021-AHCCCS will submit a State Plan Amendment (SPA) to CMS outlining its proposed ET3 Payment Methodology.
- October 1, 2021 - AHCCCS will implement the ET3 program.
Submit a public comment for the State Plan Amendment. (Opens the week of July 19th, 2021 and closes on September 2nd, 2021)
For historical reference, between September 19, 2019 and October 1, 2020, AHCCCS developed the following tentative timeline to explore participation in ET3:
- Late 2019/ Early 2020 - AHCCCS will research potential ET3 payment methodologies and model components.
- Late 2019/ Early 2020 - AHCCCS will form an external stakeholder workgroup to discuss the ET3 model.
- Second Quarter 2020 - AHCCCS will present its proposed State Plan Amendment at Tribal Consultation and post it for a 45 Day Public Comment Period.
- Second/Third Quarter 2020 - AHCCCS will submit a State Plan Amendment to CMS outlining its proposed ET3 Payment Methodology.
- Third Quarter 2020 - AHCCCS will initiate targeted education and outreach to ambulance suppliers and providers.
- Third Quarter 2020 - AHCCCS will issue a public notice regarding the proposed ET3 program rates.
- October 1, 2020 - AHCCCS will implement the ET3 program.