Arizona Olmstead Plan
AHCCCS invites all interested parties to subscribe to an email notification list to receive updates on recent Olmstead developments including opportunities for public comment.
Supreme Court Decision
On June 22, 1999, the United States Supreme Court held in Olmstead v. L.C. that unjustified segregation of persons with disabilities constitutes discrimination in violation of title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. This decision provided a legal framework for the efforts of the federal and state governments to integrate individuals with disabilities into the communities in which they live.
Under this decision, States are required to provide community-based services for persons with disabilities who would otherwise be entitled to institutional services when:
- The State’s treatment professionals reasonably determine that such placement is appropriate,
- The affected person is in agreement with the decision, and
- The placement can be reasonably recommended, taking into account the resources available to the State and the needs of others who are receiving State-supported disability services
AHCCCS has developed a new Arizona Olmstead Plan to enhance the service delivery system through integrated care and further ensure members live and receive services in the most appropriate integrated setting in their community. Development of the Olmstead Plan included working with different external stakeholders, such as members/peers and advocates, as well as providing education to and soliciting input/feedback from the community through a survey, four community forums, and a public comment period.
AHCCCS will continue to provide opportunities to learn about updates and progress made from the Arizona Olmstead Plan, including opportunities to provide feedback.
- Subscribe to Olmstead updates and receive the latest news regarding the Olmstead Plan.
- Review quarterly updates within the “living” Olmstead Plan posted to the AHCCCS Olmstead web page.
- Participate in quarterly AHCCCS Community Forums to learn about accomplishments made during the quarter and provide input on the Olmstead Plan. Visit the AHCCCS Office of Individual and Family Affairs (OIFA) web page to receive more information about these AHCCCS Community Forums, and other community presentations, in the “Community Presentations” tab. You may also subscribe to the OIFA newsletter to receive notifications about upcoming events.
- Provide public comments on the progress of the current plan and offer suggestions for new areas of focus during annual public comment periods. You can receive notifications about future public comment periods by subscribing to Olmstead updates.
- Email Olmstead@azahcccs.gov at any time to share your input on the Olmstead Plan.
This section is reserved for information about any current or upcoming forums where information and updates will be presented on the Olmstead Plan. These forums also include opportunities for public input.
Questions? Please email: Olmstead@azahcccs.gov