COVID-19 Federal Emergency Authorities Request
On March 17, 2020, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) submitted a request to the Administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to waive certain Medicaid and KidsCare requirements to enable the State to combat the continued spread of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). AHCCCS is seeking a broad range of emergency authorities to:
- Strengthen the provider workforce and remove barriers to care for AHCCCS members
- Enhance Medicaid services and supports for vulnerable members for the duration of the emergency period
- Remove cost sharing and other administrative requirements to support continued access to services
Arizona’s March 17, 2020 request to CMS is posted below:
On March 23, CMS approved components of Arizona’s request under the 1135 Waiver:
- CMS 1135 Waiver Approval Letter for COVID-19 Flexibilities (received March 23, 2020)
AHCCCS submitted additional flexibility requests on March 24.
- Summary of Additional COVID-19 Flexibility Requests (submitted March 24, 2020)
The allowances from CMS grant broad authority to Arizona to tailor changes to best serve its citizens. AHCCCS will make decisions about how and when these changes will be implemented in the coming days. The agency awaits direction from CMS regarding additional requested flexibilities.