AHCCCS Works Community Engagement Program
Program to begin no sooner than Jan. 1, 2020 for members ages 19-49 who are not exempt
When people engage in their communities—through employment, education, skills training, or volunteering—they are more likely to experience improved health outcomes.
Some able-bodied, 19 to 49 year old members will be required to participate in community engagement activities for at least 80 hours every month and report activities on a monthly basis.
American Indian/Alaska Native members are exempt from this requirement. Learn more on the AHCCCS Works Exemption for AI/AN Members page.
Qualifying activities include:
- Employment (including self-employment).
- Less than full-time education.
- Job or life skills training.
- Job search activities.
- Community service.
All members will have a three-month period at the start their in which to become familiar with requirements and tools available to ensure their success. After that three-month period, members who do not complete at least 80 hours of community engagement in a month will be suspended from AHCCCS coverage for two months, and then automatically reinstated.
Who is Not Required to Participate in AHCCCS Works?
Members who meet any of the following exemptions will not be required to comply:
- Pregnant women up to the 60th day post-pregnancy
- Former Arizona foster youth up to age 26
- Members of federally recognized tribes
- Designated caretakers of a child under age 18
- Caregivers who are responsible for the care of an individual with a disability
- Members determined to have a serious mental illness (SMI)
- Members who are medically frail
- Members who have an acute medical condition
- Members who are in active treatment for a substance use disorder
- Members with a disability recognized under federal law and individuals receiving long term disability benefits
- Full-time high school, college, or trade school students
- Survivors of domestic violence
- Individuals who are homeless
Members who are required to comply with AHCCCS Works will receive written notification from AHCCCS.
More information will be posted here as it is available.